Participate in X.Org Endless Vacation of Code

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:39:38 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Lakmal padmakumara <rclakmal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex ,Matt & Everyone ,
>
> Thanks for the ideas list Alex. I did encounter this link previously when I
> was going through the mail archives .
>
> I'm not sure whether all these projects are available or not .But after
> having an initial look I'm pretty much interested in the two projects
> mentioned here .
>
> First one is the project regarding adding an OpenCL test framework for
> piglit .Piglit seems to be implemented in python .So I would be very much
> interested in working with it .

The only problem with this one is that the currently available open
source OpenCL implementations are pretty limited in their
capabilities.  Still getting the infrastructure in place for an OpenCL
piglit suite would be a great help and might help move the start of
the art forward.  I'd suggest studying the existing piglit code and
sending your proposal or questions to mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org.
My colleague Tom would probably be willing to mentor this.

> And as another option I'm interested in the project focusing adding more
> input support for XCB .I dont have much background knowledge needed for this
> project .But when I read about it sounded really interesting and also got
> the feeling I would enjoy this type of a project .

I'm not too familiar with the current state of XCB and input.  I'd
suggest emailing your proposal or questions to
xorg-devel at lists.freedesktop.org.

> You might have some comments on my interested ideas .If you think they are
> feasible Please guide me on how should I proceed further with each one . One
> thing I experienced in the past was when you try to contribute to a open
> source project most difficult part is setting up the required
> environment/tools for the development . I would kindly request some guidance
> and help on these steps focusing on above projects .

I'd suggest emailing the lists mentioned above and explain what you
are thinking about doing and asking for input from developers who are
more knowledgeable about the areas in question (how much work is
involved, what parts of the code to look at, ideas for how it should
done, how much is a feasible to get done over the project period,
etc.).  They should be able to help guide you in the right direction.
That is generally how the GSOC and EVOC proposals have been handled in
the past.

> As I mentioned in my first email message , I will be having my exams until
> the end of third week of May .I believe it will be great if I can use these
> 3 weeks to get to know the community and move with one of my selected idea
> until I can come up with a good proposal with the feedback of the developers
> . So I would be able to start my developing phase right after I'm done with
> my exams .

Once you gotten some feedback on your proposals, send them to us and
we'll help you fine tune it.

Alex