[PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb

Jon TURNEY jon.turney at dronecode.org.uk
Tue Apr 3 04:41:24 PDT 2012

On 27/03/2012 05:09, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> However, our capstone project that just finished was a start toward
> replacing the XQuartz DDX with a stock Xorg server and a special
> client, and I'm hoping that XWin can go the same direction.

This is certainly the approach I'd like to take, as well, rather than stuffing
all the WM integration code into a client thread inside the X server.

However, replacing the Win32 native XWin (as opposed to an XWin built to use
the cygwin layer) with the Xorg DDX seems like it would involve a non-trivial
amount of work, in effectively porting the Xorg DDX to the Win32 API.

> The special client acts something like a compositing window manager.
> It's pretty alpha right now, but proves the concept nicely on OS X. It
> was designed to have a portable core library shared by several
> applications, one for each native window system (say, OS X, Windows,
> and Wayland). Now would be a great time to start generalizing to other
> window systems.
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxcwm/

Thanks.  I know you have mentioned this project previously and I'll try to
make the time to take a look at it.

Is there a way to support hardware-accelerated GL in that arrangement?