Bugzilla duplicate components

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Sep 25 10:26:02 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 08:18:31AM -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 19:50 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> > Should we move XCB from its own product into an xorg component for consistency?
>
> Yes, it is important to implement the proper X.Org project architecture.
>
> I'll take this opportunity to advocate that the xcb source repositories
> should be relocated under /xorg if feasible. These are the only
> externally recognizable hints that xcb is part of x.org project. That
> would be helpful to direct comments/bug reports to the correct location.

I suppose that's fine with me, if somebody wants to do the work. Off the
top of my head:

- People in the xcb group on fd.o need to be added to the xorg group.

- After moving the repositories, symlinks from the old locations would
  be appreciated so old checkouts still work.

- I'd rather not merge the XCB wiki into the X.Org wiki, unless
  somebody's going to do a lot more maintenance on the X.Org wiki than
  I've yet seen and they want to take on XCB too.

- I don't think most XCB contributors want to see all the mail on
  xorg-devel, so I'm inclined to keep the separate mailing list as well.
  Although some of us are on both lists anyway, and perhaps nobody would
  mind merging?

I'd have a happier outlook on this plan if I thought fully merging the
projects would get more administrative support for both XCB and the rest
of X.Org from fd.o admins.

Jamey