[RFC] Bugzilla Cleanup

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Tue Sep 20 00:54:35 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:17:33AM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> So, one of the things talked about at XDC was just how icky bugzilla has become.  There are a ton of open bugs which haven't been touched in ages and either don't apply any more or don't have sufficient information to act upon.  I would like to spend some effort cleaning these up, but before I go and make thousands of changes, I wanted to discuss my plans in case anyone has objections, suggestions, and critiques.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> 1) Close all NEEDINFO and notourbug bugs which haven't been touched in over a year.
>
> 2) Clean up keywords (how do I do this?)
>    2a) Remove "cleanup0407"
>    2b) Remove movetoxkc (and move those bugs to xkeyboard-config if applicable)
>    2c) Add "HITLIST" for top issues that we should focus on addressing soon (ie: this will be a nag list).  Is there a way to restrict who can add certain keywords?
>    2d) Add "NOMINATE" to allow reporters to nominate the issue as a hitlist bug.  Maintainers can go through and review nominated bugs to see if they want to HITLIST them or not.
>    2e) Add "STALE" keyword which will be used to automatically close old, stale bugs (below)
>
> 3) Add the STALE keyword to all bugs with a note that they will be closed if nobody comments in the bug within 2 weeks if they satisfy each of the following:
>    3a) haven't been touched in >= 2 years
>    3b) Have no other keywords
>
> 4) 2 weeks later, I will act on #3 and close all bugs which received no comments.  Those which did have a comment will be reviewed and screened appropriately.

That looks ok to me too, even if the 2 weeks period looks a bit short
to me, but I understand that you want to move forward.

I recently looked at the X.Org patchwork
(http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/list/). It also
appears to have a lot of stale data. Any plans to clean it up too ?

Thanks.
--
Matthieu Herrb