Xserver driver merging pros & cons

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Sep 16 06:25:48 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 01:46:30PM -0500, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > 3) Out of tree drivers will become second class citizens.
>
> I don't see that as a con.  I see that as a benefit.  If something is not
> in the tree, it IS a second class citizen, and users should not expect it
> to work any more.  If the trident driver breaks, they can always use vesa.

wacom is GPL but definitely not a second-class driver. unless we're willing
to take on the hilarity of discussing GPL-ing the server merging the input
drivers is pretty pointless - the driver that needs it the most get's the
least benefits.

which - for now - at least rules out input driver merging. evdev and
synaptics could benefit from some shared code but the effort involved and
the potential loss of testers against old releases make me shy away from it
right now.

Cheers,
  Peter