Xserver driver merging pros & cons

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Sep 15 17:13:15 PDT 2011

On 09/15/11 08:45, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Cons:
>    1) more work for distros to backport just driver changes to old
>       servers (especially if people follow through on (3) above)
>       1a) if backporting is harder, new hardware support will be more
>           difficult to land in "enterprise" level distros

Also ties server releases more tightly to kernel support, especially
un-fun for those running a kernel that's not Linux (i.e. BSD & Solaris).

I was able to ship older Intel drivers that still supported UMS, while
waiting for KMS support to land in our kernel.   If Radeon similarly
goes KMS only, I'll probably have to do the same for it for a while,
since DRM porting to another kernel is no small/quick task.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com