Fwd: Re: user visible monitor hotplug events

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 25 15:22:47 PDT 2011

On 24 October 2011 23:49, Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 02:39 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>>> RandR generates events when outputs change states.  You should listen
>>> for those events:
>>>

>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/tree/randrproto.txt?id=randrproto-1.3.2#n326
>>>

>> I read this from a nvidia developer. Does that mean XRandR-1.3 is going
>> to be supported soon in the nvidia driver?
>
> It's supported in the Tegra driver.

>>> Michael Thayer's changes to xev to make it print the events might be a
>>> good place to start.
>>>

>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xev/commit/?id=7965bc6efbf5db244593735bbb98f0ffa759cd1a
>>
>> This means, the setup application needs to stay active all the time like
>> a daemon, which I initially hoped to can circumvent.
>
> Yes.

Yes, there is no way to configure the X server. The X people refuse to
store configuration in the X server so you need a daemon to configure
every device as it is attached.

For some reason you can configure keyboard layout with udev but
nothing else can be configured in X.

You need a daemon to configure monitors, a daemon to configure input
devices, and a daemon to configure wacom tablets because the wacom
people can't agree with X people on a protocol that would allow
configuring Wacom tablets *and* other input devices.

You can only configure a device once connected and the configuration
is lost once disconnected unless a deamon is watching for device
hotplugs and reconfigures any new devices.

You can also write a configuration file which has completely different
syntax and option names from xrandr/xinput/xsetwacom and requires you
to restart the X session. Very consistent and practical. nVidia
control panel used this method last time I tried it.

Thanks

Michal