[Pull v2] Glamor - fixed build failure, fixed coding style problem.

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Oct 20 08:32:29 PDT 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:54:29 +0200, Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/mixed
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> This is also like Xgl, as I recall, in that Xgl was a large development
> effort happening inside a company (Novell, in that case) and then being
> dropped on the X.Org community. I'd say that had a lot to do with it
> eventually failing.
>
> A bunch of this work has Eric Anholt's and Kristian Høgsberg's names on
> it, and I'd have expected them to remember that debacle.

I didn't get very far in the work before deciding that getting DRI2
working was going to be hard and that further work wasn't useful until I
had some sort of plan for it.

My intention back when I was working on it was to do incremental merging
once DRI2 was figured out -- there's an obvious merge point where
correct all-software-fallbacks are possible, then another when the first
couple of blit paths are in, then Render accel.

But now, in order to get DRI2 working with GL-based 2D, we're thinking
of flipping the whole thing on its head and using our current driver,
binding its BOs into GL, and doing incremental migration of our current
rendering to GL rendering that way.  We've burned ourselves switching to
new AAs both times we've done it, so any plan that involves incremental
changes has a lot recommending it.