[PULL] device node and product/vendor property

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 25 22:33:37 PDT 2011

This pull request fixes a long-standing issue we had with X devices: we are
currently unable to pair X devices with their respective kernel devices
(short of parsing the log file).

These two properties add a product/vendor ID for hardware-specific
configuration, we already have the same info in use for
MatchVendor/MatchProduct.

The other one adds a device node property, to be set to the device file the
driver uses. Clients that rely on extra information like the sysfs path,
etc. can use that device node to get more information.

Both properties are expected to be set by the driver, these patches merely
standardise a name for them so that clients know what to expect.

This has been a long-standing issue and though we could provide more
information, it's hard to do so in a platform-independent manner, figure out
what exactly that information should be, etc. So exporting the values we
know anyway is the easiest and most likely the most flexible.

Clients need to figure out how to deal with remote X connections themselves,
but that's somewhat expected anyway if they expect to talk to the X server
and to the kernel device.

The following changes since commit b6c7b9b2f39e970cedb6bc1e073f901e28cb0fa3:

  randr: check rotated virtual size limits correctly (2011-05-25 09:44:52 -0600)

are available in the git repository at:
  git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/xserver.git for-keith

Peter Hutterer (2):
      Xi: add device node property to known properties.
      Add a property for device/product ID.

 include/xserver-properties.h |    8 ++++++++