[Xcb] GPLv3 (Re: [ANNOUNCE] xcb-util 0.3.8)

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Tue May 24 22:17:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

    > This  is  the first  released  tarball  from  X.org and  XCB  that
    > requires autoconf-2.62 to autoconf.  What is needed from 2.62 that
    > isn't  in 2.61?   2.62  is  released under  GPLv3  making it  very
    > difficult for users to rebuild the configure script.

Autoconf  2.62 is only  required because  of AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK
used in XCB_UTIL_M4_WITH_INCLUDE_PATH (xcb_util_m4_with_include_path.m4)
to check whether '-I' m4 options is supported.

That's being  said, it's completely meaningless for  xcb/util because m4
was only being  used for (removed) atoms list,  therefore I just removed
dependencies  on m4  and gperf  and  downgrade autoconf  version too  in
fe292de[0].

However,  xcb/util-wm uses  XCB_UTIL_M4_WITH_INCLUDE_PATH,  so it  still
depends upon Autoconf 2.62.  Feel free to submit a patch if you have any
problem with that ;).

Cheers,
--
Arnaud Fontaine