[RFC] Inclusing of xkbset in xorg/app

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 18 17:47:56 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:07:40PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Let me add a few comments.  (I don't know if I am allowed to post to
> the xorg-devel mailing list, so if I am not, maybe Peter could
> forward this for me.)
>
> First, my man page is horribly incomplete, but the command "xkbset
> h" gives a rather comprehensive list of all the commands.  I had
> intended to include a lengthy description of how mousekeys can be
> adjusted, as well as how the accessx feature works.  There is a very
> good and detailed description in the document
> http://refspecs.freestandards.org/X11/XKBlib.ps, but it embedded in
> the middle of the document, as this document is meant for
> programmers, not users.

well, IMO xkbset itself is more for developers than users too, so I don't
worry too much about the man page being incomplete :)
it'll get fixed up over time, I guess.

> Note that there are a few of the XKB features which I didn't
> understand.  You will see statements like "What is this?" written in
> the help message.  You might like to fill these in with a correct
> description of what those XKB features do.

sure, no worries.

> Second, the C source code is actually generated by perl code.  I
> will admit that the generated C code is probably easier to follow
> than the perl code.  But I am kind of proud of the perl code.  If
> you choose to remove the perl code in the code repository, I
> understand.  But then I would like to maintain my code on my
> website, so that there is at least some record of it.

oh. now some of the C constructs make a lot more sense :)
I'd rather have it maintained in C as this is our common language. We can
keep the perl code as a historical feature but I guess the C code will
become the primary source over time.

Cheers,
  Peter