[RFC] Inclusing of xkbset in xorg/app

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 18 16:28:23 PDT 2011

The other day I had to tweak some XKB settings to reproduce a bug. Turns out
we don't really have an application (that I could find) in our repos that
just toggles bits in XKB like the repeat rate, per-key-repeat, etc.

I ended up using xkbset which is similar to xinput but for the XKB
extension. Alas, the tool is relatively hidden away, does not have a public
code repository (versioned source tarballs are available) and I think it
would benefit both xkbset and us to have this in our xorg/app repositories.
The current URL is http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen/software/#xkbset

Stephen (on CC), the author, said that "I haven't looked at this tool for
years, but I still get emails telling me that they find it useful." Given
that it's a pure client-side XKB app it shouldn't need a lot of updates
beyond the usual so the maintainer load for us would be minimal.  Stephen
said he'd be happy for xkbset to move over to the X.Org repositories.

I've done the basic autotooling and pushed it to
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~whot/xkbset/ for anyone interested.

One other option is to add the source files into the existing
xorg/app/xkbutils repository.

Any comments?

Cheers,
  Peter