xclock/oclock endian mismatch in Xfbdev [SOLVED]

Dushara Jayasinghe dushara.jayasinghe at hydrix.com
Sun May 15 16:59:14 PDT 2011

On 3/05/2011 11:45 AM, dushara.jayasinghe at hydrix.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm Working on an iMX.25 (ARM) based embedded platform with
> xserver_xorg-server-1.7.5.
>
> I had to make the following mods to servermd.h to reflect the hardware.
>
> #define FBNOPIXADDR
> #define IMAGE_BYTE_ORDER	MSBFirst
> #define BITMAP_BIT_ORDER	MSBFirst
>
> This setup works with xlogo and oclock (The image looks correct). However
> when running xclock and a 3rd party gtk based app, the BIT/BYTE_ORDER is
> incorrect.
>
> Are there instances where these defines are ignored? Any ideas on where I
> should start looking?

Ok figured it out. It stems from the fact that the CPU endianness (arm
being LITTLE endian) doesn't match the endianness of the LCD peripheral
(big). So even though I configured the FB, pixman was setting the
endianness via the configure script. Which brings me to my next
question, shouldn't pixman, xserver (and anything else that I may not
have encountered yet) have this setting configured in a single place?

Dushara