About kdrive status

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed May 11 23:46:49 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:02:16PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I haven't actually looked into building the X.Org server / xfree86 DDX
> on darwin as an alternative, so I can't confirm that they don't work
> (just that it's never been tried by me).  Jamey, do you know who told
> you that it doesn't work, or can you tell me specifically what doesn't
> work, so I can put it on my list of things todo?

"notmuch" tells me it was Alan Coopersmith:

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-June/009489.html

That's all I know. I've never tried building the xserver tree on
non-Linux. I'd love it if you make my dreams of unifying the xserver hw/
directory come true though. :-)

> It would be nice to at least get that DDX buildable on OSX.  Is the
> problem some dependency on libpciaccess, libdrm, DRI2, etc that needs
> to be better conditionalized?

I'm hoping you'll find either it just works or it's easily fixed with
some conditionals. I don't expect there are any portability issues with
the video-dummy or video-nested drivers, so you ought to be able to test
with those.

Jamey