About kdrive status

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed May 11 12:56:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:50:17PM +0800, Liu Peng wrote:
> Ajax (Adam Jackson) mentioned that the drivers for kdrive were broken and in
> every way inferior to the corresponding Xorg drivers.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2011-April/052821.html
>
> So, what's the status of kdrive, is it obsolete?

As I recall, there's a consensus that the Xfbdev driver in kdrive is
completely redundant with the X.Org fbdev driver, but the situation with
Xephyr and Xfake is less clear.

With the recent push of the X.Org nested driver, both the Xephyr and
Xfake kdrive servers have counterparts in X.Org drivers. However, as far
as I can tell, Xephyr and Xfake should work on Windows and Mac, and I'm
told that X.Org currently doesn't. Also, the nested driver is not yet as
functional or as efficient as Xephyr.

For those reasons, I think Xephyr and Xfake will live a little longer,
but personally I hope their days are numbered.

Jamey