[PUSH xf86-video-nested] Driver for nesting X-servers

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun May 8 08:07:34 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 10:16:09AM +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> As far as I can look at it it's a very good sollution for multiseat.
> Let the X server offer a display, maybe exist of more than one
> screen (every monitor a different screen), which is the way to go
> with a videocard with two heads, offer these different outputs as
> screens using Xinerama like:

(I think you mean "without using Xinerama".)

> I'havent been testing this yet, but is this possible??

I think that's easy to configure, except that this driver won't (yet?)
give you any help making the backing windows full-screen, and it doesn't
yet support RANDR.

> And futher, is it also possible to use a "NX" display as source?
> Maybe you know, NX is a protocol to have a remote display, like vnc,
> but then much more efficient.

That isn't directly supported, but as I understand NX, they provide a
proxy for standard X clients. I'd expect that proxy to work fine with
this driver.

> And finally, what is so different compared to Xephyr? Is it
> basically the same technique or is it totally different??

It's the same implementation technique as Xephyr: a software-rendered
framebuffer that's blitted to the backend screen. But it's provided as a
loadable driver for X.Org, so you can use it alongside hardware drivers.
Or, like Xdmx, load multiple instances of the nested driver to place
backing screens on multiple displays.

This driver doesn't yet try to be efficient about the pixels it blasts
to the backend server. As usual... patches welcome. :-)

Jamey