multitouch and synaptics clickpad questions
djkurtz at google.com
Sat Mar 5 02:00:35 PST 2011
Back in October Chase Douglas  kicked off a flurry of patches and
discussions on this mailing list about adding Clickpad support, and/or some
form of multitouch gesture processing (what little is possible with
Synaptics Advanced Gesture Mode) to the xf86-input-synaptics driver (and/or
the kernel). The patches were commented upon, and rehashed a little... but
now everything seems to have died down - and, as far as I can tell, nothing
has yet been accepted into xf86-input-synaptics upstream.
 Starting with this:
As a result of this work, in late December Henrik Rydberg submitted a patch
 to linux-input, based on the discussions above, which added semi-mt
support to the synaptics kernel driver. This patch, too, though, has not
yet been accepted upstream.
1. What is the status of the kernel driver patches?
2. What is the status of the effort to use them from user space?
1. Are patches still being reviewed/tested/worked on for
xf86-input-synaptics to use Synaptics AGM to improve clickpad performance?
2. Was a decision made to not bother with xf86-input-synaptics, and
instead to focus only on mtdev & xf86-input-multitouch?
3. Is semi-mt supported in mtdev?
3. What is the status of xf86-input-multitouch, anyway? It doesn't
appear to be an "official" X input driver, supported and maintained, for
example, by this mailing list.
4. And what about utouch?
1. Is that replacing mtdev/xf86-input-multitouch?
2. Is it Ubuntu specific?
3. Or is it being merged into the X.org / Xinput2 system?
4. Or will it live as an independent but cooperative userspace
component of an X system?
Sorry for jumping in, late to the party, and asking so many potentially
off-topic questions to the mailing list at large. I'm more than happy to
post elsewhere if more appropriate. This just seems like a good place to
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the xorg-devel