multitouch and synaptics clickpad status

Daniel Kurtz djkurtz at google.com
Fri Mar 4 10:54:22 PST 2011

Back in October Chase Douglas [1] kicked off a flurry of patches and
discussions on this list about adding Clickpad support, and some form
of multitouch gesture processing (well, at least what is possible with
Synaptics Advanced Gesture Mode) to the xf86-input-synaptics driver (and/or
the kernel).  The patches were commented upon, and rehashed a little... but
now everything seems to have died down - and, as far as I can tell, nothing
has yet been accepted to xf86-input-synaptics upstream.

[1] Starting with this:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-October/013809.html

I also saw that in late December Henrik Rydberg submitted a patch [2] to
linux-input, based on the discussions above, but which just added semi-mt
support to the synaptics kernel driver.  This patch, too, has been sitting
up there, but it looks as though it has not yet been accepted upstream.

[2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/426561/

Can anybody update the status of this new kernel driver, and/or the effort
to use it from user space?
Are patches still being reviewed/tested/worked on by someone for
xf86-input-synaptics to use AGM mode to improve clickpad performance?
Or was a decision made to not bother, and instead only focus on mtdev &
xf86-input-multitouch?
What is the status of semi-mt support in mtdev?
What is the official status of xf86-input-multitouch, anyway?
It doesn't appear to be an "official" X input driver, supported and
maintained on this list.

Thanks,
-Daniel