Build fixes (was Anything more for xproto 7.0.22?)

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 5 11:50:25 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 14:11 -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 18:34 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun  5, 2011 at 11:22:31 -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> >
> > > An alternative is to install the *.db files in their respective packages
> > > and have the xorg-sgml-doctools masterdb point to the packages. Either
> >
> > xorg-sgml-doctools doesn't know where the packages are installed, and
> > shouldn't have to know.  Please don't introduce a dependency loop here.
> >

> Correct, it does not know and should not know about where other
> packages are installed (the value of their prefix). This is not what I
> am proposing. There is a requirement that all packages be installed
> under the prefix fir cross-referencing to work. The xorg-sgml-doctools
> can make an assumption based on that requirement and "assume" that
> packages were installed under the same prefix value.
>
> There is no guarantee they will be installed there, but there is no
> harm in making that assumption because if they aren't installed there,
> it won't work anyway (cross-referencing). That characteristic is
> unique to docs. Even if the packages are independent and can each be
> installed under different prefix, they must be installed under the
> same prefix for docs to work properly. When you look at things from
> the datarootdir/doc perspective, you must see a well formed tree of
> documents and thier target dbs as if it came from a monolithic tree.
>
> I am not insisting here, just explaining what this alternative is. I
> am not sure yet it is a good alternative, challenges are welcome.
>

>         /usr/share/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.html	-installed by libX11 package
>         /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/xorg.css		-installed by xorg-sgml-doctools
>         /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.html.xml	-instaled byxorg-sgml-doctools
>
>         /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/libX11.html.db		-currently installed by libX11 package in sgml dir
>         /usr/share/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.html.db	-alternative: installed by libX11 package in docdir
>

> The generated html has a relative reference to the libX11.html file.
> If the referencing html is installed under a different prefix, the
> referenced html will not be found.

> That's why I think it is "safe" to assume that packages are installed
> under the same prefix, because if they aren't, it won't work anyway.
> Of course, "safe" here means that it won't break it any more than it
> already is.

The whole discussion about prefix assumptions is a moot point. If the
tree isn't the way it is expected, it won't work. How the doc tree got
out of whack is irrelevant. Trying to summarize what this alternative
is: instead of installing the target dbs in sgml, install them where the
docs normally are. Instead of sgml reading from sgml/X11/dbs for target
dbs, read them from the doc directory.