Build fixes (was Anything more for xproto 7.0.22?)

Cyril Brulebois kibi at debian.org
Sat Jun 4 16:34:32 PDT 2011

Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> (04/06/2011):
> What is unusual about the "target dbs" file (which aren't docs), it
> that they are not installed in any location governed by the x11proto
> package *dir variables such as docdir, datarootdir and so on. The
> installation location is obtained by questioning xorg-sgml-doctools
> package. I suspect this package, on your build, has been installed in
> /usr. I would be nice if you could verify that.

Sorry it wasn't clear. Everything ends up (inside Debian packages, and
on filesystems) under /usr. Here are files from xorg-sgml-doctools:
  /usr/share/pkgconfig/xorg-sgml-doctools.pc
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/defs.ent
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg-fo.xsl
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.pdf.xml
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.txt.xml
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.html.xml
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.ps.xml
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg.css
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg.xsl
  /usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg-xhtml.xsl
  /usr/share/doc/xorg-sgml-doctools/changelog.gz
  /usr/share/doc/xorg-sgml-doctools/copyright
  /usr/share/doc/xorg-sgml-doctools/changelog.Debian.gz

> Forgot to ask, you mention distcheck, but what happens with a regular
> "make install"? It should behave the same way. If not, we are falling
> in that category of scenario where "we know we do not have permissions
> to install at that location, but we just want to create a tarball
> using distcheck, not really install the package". There are a few
> video drivers in that situation and there is a workaround. It's so
> hard to explain :-)

With --prefix=/usr, make install DESTDIR=/tmp/foo installs everything
under /tmp/foo/usr

With --prefix=/blah, make install DESTDIR=/tmp/foo installs most files
under /tmp/foo/blah, but db files under /tmp/foo/usr, so it's the prefix
chosen when building xorg-sgml-doctools that's taken into account, and
DESTDIR is prepended, as expected:
  /tmp/foo/usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/x11protocol.html.db
  /tmp/foo/usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/x11protocol.fo.db
vs:
  /tmp/foo/blah/lib/pkgconfig/xproto.pc
  /tmp/foo/blah/include/X11/*

I really don't know what distcheck does (DESTDIR or something else), but
I'm on my way to the manual.

Mraw,
KiBi.