RFC: video with DRI2

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:40:53 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Younes Manton <younes.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Corbin Simpson
> <mostawesomedude at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have some opinions on the best approach to take?  Anyone else
>>> given some thought to this sort of thing before?
>>>

>> If I recall correctly, DRI2 can transport VDPAU and there is some
>> libvdpau stuff in the Mesa/Gallium source tree. I haven't really been
>> heavily involved, but I would imagine that that might be interesting
>> to you.
>>
>> ~ C.
>>

> The code in mesa does everything client side since overlays are pretty
> much extinct so doesn't really have a need for any of this, although
> more control over the swap chain might be useful.

yeah, and therein lies the challenge.. ;-)

I'm dealing with smaller embedded devices (ie. that runs off
batteries) where overlays are actually useful from power/efficiency
standpoint.  But at same time video decode hw has some requirements
that normal shmem allocated buffers don't meet so Xv is not terribly
helpful.  The aspect of DRI2 of just getting a GEM buffer handle
shared between xorg and client is 90% of what I need.

BR,
-R