[PULL] Server build fixes

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 25 10:50:07 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 08:59 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> So, I'm a bit confused here -- I do 'make distcheck' to build
> releases,
> and it works for me. I'd like to know how I can test this patch to
> make
> sure it does what you expect.

The failing scenario involves builds where srcdir != builddir. Automake
calls this a
VPATH build.
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#VPATH-Builds

This type of build addresses a requirement where multiple binaries can
be
generated from a single source tree by modulating the configuration.
For example a build with dri and without dri.

The distcheck target uses a VPATH build to build and install the
package.
It can find errors that are not found during a regular build because it
builds from "a virtual tarball from makefile" rather than the source
on disk. A classic error is new header file that was not added in the
makefile.

A developer, or most likely a distro, can use a VPATH setup to build.
They can also run distcheck from this VPATH build. This is the failing
scenario as I understand it.

The test case is to build xserver from a VPATH build and then run
distcheck.

A VPATH build can be created this way:

        xserver$ make distclean
        xserver$ mkdir build && cd build
        xserver/build$ ../configure --prefix whatever # note the ../
        xserver/build$ make distcheck

You need to run distclean from your source tree to clean the current
configuration. Create a build directory where binaries will be
generated.
Run the "configure" script located in the source tree from the build
tree.
No need to autogen, we are not re-creating the configuration.

Just like for a source tree, you don't need to "make" the build
directory,
just run distcheck. You have a set of tarballs in the build dir, not
srcdir.

You can run distclean from the build dir, go back to the srcdir and
configure it, and resume using it.