Spinning in _XReply

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Tue Feb 22 01:14:07 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 09:54:37 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> 2) emacs' error handler seems bugged.  Is it legal to call XSync() within the error handler?  It certainly seems like it shouldn't.  Did we used to actually support this with the xtrans version of libX11?

Not as far as I can tell.  From XSetErrorHandler(3):

       Because this condition is not assumed to be fatal, it is acceptable for
       your error handler to return; the returned value is ignored.  However,
       the error handler should not call any functions (directly or indi‐
       rectly) on the display that will generate protocol requests or that
       will look for input events.

That's not a new requirement.

Cheers,
Julien