X.Org Developers Conference: Book Sprint

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Aug 18 18:12:11 PDT 2011

I'm looking for some help on behalf of the X.Org Foundation, and
thought this might be the place to get it.

We are tentatively planning a Book Sprint for the 3 days immediately
following the 2011 X.Org Developers Conference in Chicago. XDC 2011 is
Monday-Wednesday 12-14 September, so the Book Sprint would be
Thursday-Saturday 15-17 September.

The purpose of this Book Sprint is to work on a "New Developer's
Guide" to X.Org. The guide will draw heavily on existing materials,
and will be aimed not just at device driver developers but at toolkit
and application developers as well.

What we need is experienced, knowledgeable X.Org developers who
are willing to attend and write.  We're hoping this might be
you, or at least someone you know.

A Book Sprint is what it sounds like: A bunch of people gather in a
room to plan and execute a book. Once we quickly make a plan, there
will be much writing to do, and plenty of editing. I have participated
in these before and feel confident we can do a good job. Please do not
worry about whether your English is strong enough; that's something we
can help with. We just want people who know things, and are willing to
try to write down what they know. It is a lot of fun to see the end
product with your name on it; I encourage you to give it a try.

If you need financial support for travel, because your employer is
unable or unwilling to pay and you cannot easily afford to pay
yourself, the X.Org Foundation is committed to help.

Because our resources are limited and we need to work quickly, this Book
Sprint is by invitation only. To request an invitation, please send email to
board at foundation.x.org as soon as possible.  Unless you're certain we
know all about you, please include a very brief summary of your X.Org
technical expertise.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to
contact me by email.

As always, thanks much for your work on behalf of X.Org.

   Sincerely,
   Bart Massey
   X.Org Foundation Board of Directors
   bart.massey at gmail.com