problem with multithreaded application and Xlib

Francesco Abbate francesco.bbt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:28:03 PDT 2010

2010/9/30 Rami Ylimäki <rami.ylimaki at vincit.fi>:
> XNextEvent may call _XReadEvents and XSync calls _XReply. If XNextEvent is
> called before XSync from a different thread and there are no events, this
> may happen. It's a bug in Xlib implementation. Search for "FIXME" in
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/tree/src/xcb_io.c. I don't know
> if you are facing this problem but based on your description that may be the
> case.

Hi Rami,

this sounds interesting. Actually I strongly suspect libxcb for this
problem. As you pointed out in xcb_io.c there is a FIXME comment so
the developers *are* aware of the problem. I'm wondering if I should
post the problem in the xcb mailing list.

Or may be I've just to switch back to the stable version of X Window
and wait for this bug to be fixed for the next release. The problem is
that I needs to have at least OpenGL 2 to use shaders and the binary
ATI driver does not works (sic!). The development with the Gallium
architecture is very interesting and exciting but for the moment it is
just not ready :-)

Thank you very much for the help!

Francesco