Build error: pixmapPrivate

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Sep 29 13:48:58 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:48:13PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:23:40 -0400
> > From: Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com>
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > ? ?driver/xf86-video-geode/src/gx_randr.c
> >
> > ... and:
> >
> > driver/xf86-video-mach64/src/aticonsole.c
> > mesa/mesa/src/gallium/state_trackers/xorg/xorg_driver.c
>
> I think whoever made that pixmapprivates change needs to back it out
> and fix the open source drivers first.

As we learned on XDS, this sort of, what others would call, basic
diligence, like testing some graphics drivers first, would only be
reserved for drivers which would've been merged back into the server
tree.

Question: Why can this not be a general rule? Whenever a change at this
side of the server happens: test the build of some drivers, and runtest
at least _one_ driver, and take full responsibility when the error
reports from other drivers come rolling in. Why would this be different
whether whether drivers are in a unified build system or out of tree?

Question: Would either the dummy or the vesa driver have caught this one
at build time at all?

Luc Verhaegen.