Infamous inappropriate ioctl for device 25

- anfiboli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 14:45:54 PDT 2010

Good Morning/Evening All

I'm a noob...but not so noob...I googlesearched, removed, purged, installed
and reinstalled...and not so brave to edit /proc/mtrr...and now I'm
completely *exhausted*, that's why I'm writing here..

I'am reverting back to Xorg from XFree86 (deleted the /usr/X11R6), I can
reach the KDE login screen (my setting is to override) but can't go beyond
it...from console --> startx  this is the relevant output

error setting MTRR (base=0xf8000000, size=0x00800000 type=1) inappropriate
ioctl for device (25)

So if someone could explain me how to apply *this
patch*<http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-July/011317.html>(e.g.
Thomas....)...maybe I could, but really don't wanna mistake at all

Best Regards

Amedeo

P.S. plz don't beat me