[RFC] Multitouch proposal v2 + implementation

Ping Cheng pinglinux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 10:29:49 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is my second draft of the multitouch proposal, along with a fairly
> complete implementation; patchsets for inputproto, xserver,
> xf86-input-evdev, libXi and xinput follow.
>
> This is more or less half way between Peter's proposal and my original
> one: it doesn't use valuators anymore, but it has a different, and
> hopefully more workable, approach to grabbing.

I have a corner case that I'd like to know how you address it.

How do we deal with the single touch case for multi-touch devices?
Shouldn't we still post valuator for single touch events so MT devices
can perform single touch functions while the touch is not grabbed by
the client? The single touch use case can occur before and after the
client grabs the MT events.

Maybe you have already discussed and covered this case in your
proposal. But I am not familiar with the X server (and evdev) code. So
I am taking a shortcut to get my question answered - asking the expert
:).

Ping