xkb mapping difficulties

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sat Sep 18 14:48:13 PDT 2010

hi,
I didn't find an xkb mailing list so I hope this is the correct mailing
list.

I am trying to make an xkb rule for the htcdream(a phone, that is also
known under the name of G1,the first android phone).
I'm porting a GNU/Linux(so not android) distribution on it with xorg
etc...
The phone has an hardware keyboard,but some keys like - | etc... are
only available trough alt+an_alphanum_key in android.
In xorg(GNU/Linux) they are not mapped yet, and I want to do that.
In other words qwerty etc... work but not the alt+q combo that would
give <TAB>

I've tried to do it but I've some issues with the first tests(I didn't
even try to map the extended key for now but only to change something to
see if it worked and it didn't):
# setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+latin+inet(pc105)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};
# cat test
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "testkbd" {
  key <AD01> {
    symbols[Group1] = [ at , at ]
  };
};

# xkbcomp test :0
# setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+latin+inet(pc105)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};

so...
I don't see the "test" string in the second setxkbmap -print
and pressing q in xterm still produce a q.
here's a part of the content of xkbcomp :0 file
    key <AD01> {
        type= "FOUR_LEVEL_SEMIALPHABETIC",
        symbols[Group1]= [ q, Q, at, Greek_OMEGA ]
    };
(some spaces were removed for better reading)

I've tried that too:

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "testkbd" {
    key <AD01> {
        type= "FOUR_LEVEL_SEMIALPHABETIC",
        symbols[Group1]= [ z, z, z, z ]
    };
};
which still produces a q

Doing :
xkbcomp :0 map
vim map
xkbcomp map :0
works tough(the changes are there and I'm even able to map the extended
keys etc...) but I bet something like that would not be acceptable
upstream...

Denis.