Is XAA still supported in recent and future xserver?

Matt Dew matt at osource.org
Mon Sep 13 15:41:36 PDT 2010

<snip>
> I understand the urge to slim the server down, but deprecating XAA
> isn't the way to do this.
>
> In order to deprecate something, there needs to be a replacement. As
> others in this thread have stated, there is hardware for which EXA is
> slower than XAA or does not work all together. So EXA is not a 1:1
> replacement for XAA.
>
> I can't see why being able to remove XAA (which would be the intended
> goal of deprecating it) would help anything anyway. The xserver can
> already be easily built without XAA.

Agreed that a replacement is needed before removing anything.  I think
we're all in agreement there.

I'm not necessarily arguing for dumping XAA (I don't know enough for
that, hence my questions.).  I'm just from the school of thought that
if two things are redundant, get rid of one of them. Less maintenance,
confusion, duplicated effort, ...   If EXA could be made to be
performant on that hardware, I think getting rid of XAA would be a
good idea, for the pre-mentioned reasons.  If it can't, then end of
discussion for me.

How does Gallium3D and cairo fall into this argument?  Are they
alternatives to XAA and EXA? (again, I'm still learning.)

Matt