Is XAA still supported in recent and future xserver?

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 13 13:30:42 PDT 2010

> From: Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag at dottedmag.net>
> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:29:19 +0700
>
> Twas brillig at 21:17:52 13.09.2010 UTC+02 when mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl
> did gyre and gimble:
>
>  >> so this means we could deprecate XAA from the server, and if one
>  >> cares about it we recommend to use old servers?
>
>  MK> No.  XAA does make a noticable difference on some hardware.
>
> deprecate != remove. There are lots of places in server where signs
> "don't use this for new functionality" could be quite useful.

But I'm not sure XAA falls into that category.  It is my understanding
that EXA doesn't make an awful lot of sense on hardware that doesn't
have alpha support.  Such hardware may be mostly irrelevant in the
desktop market, but judging from the discussions on this list in the
last couple of months, such hardware continues to be used in the
embedded space.