Tweakability of fop documentation

Cyril Brulebois kibi at debian.org
Thu Oct 28 12:55:24 PDT 2010

Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> (11/10/2010):
> I don't mind giving more flexibility, but it will generate a
> "defaults" war.

Talking about flexibility, I've got two remarks about fop:
 - It uses format autodetection by default, using papersize and
   locales settings. People building packages for distributions may
   like the concept of build reproducibility and may want to build
   stuff independently of the environment. It'd be nice to be able to
   pass --noautosize without having to patch all specs/Makefile.am
   files in Xorg packages.
 - Fop is very chatty, and may clutter the build log with messages
   which aren't going to be read except by a few developers (I'm not
   even sure?). It'd be nice to be able to tell it to be less
   chatty. Since no option seems to exist for that matter, I guess
   it'll still be nice to be able to redirect its std{out,err} to
   /dev/null…

What do you think?

(I've been playing around with libXaw for now, but I guess the same
applies to all Xorg packages with reworked documentation handling.)

Mraw,
KiBi.