xserver make distdir fails without doxygen because of hw/dmx/doc

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 2 08:48:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 13:59 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Do we really want to ship all of the generated documentation in
> hw/dmx/doc?  Is this the case in other modules, or is this an
> exception?

This issue has been raised a couple of times before and the answer (not
unanimous) was yes.

The strategy is to use a platform with doxygen to include the generated
docs in the tarball which is published on the xorg site. This tarball is
later consumed by a platform which does not have doxygen, allowing it to
benefit from the docs that it would otherwise not be able to build. Same
for xmlto.

There is a text version of the dmx spec in git for those who do not have
xmlto. Note that these docs are "development" docs and are not
"installed" by distros, so they are not available anywhere on your
computer disk.

There are 3 libraries (Xcomposite, Xi and Xtst) using the same strategy
for building man pages. For a complete list of which module uses which
doc tool, refer to the table in
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/WritingDocumentation.

This strategy comes at the cost of increased complexity in the makefile
and the inability to run distcheck on some platforms. As time passes, a
re-evaluation of the situation is desirable. Tools that were not
available on some platforms perhaps now are. A website is being built
(http://www.osource.org/xorg/docbook/) which contains all the docs.