[DOC] Re: java OutOfMemory building documentation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 06:07:39 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
> Also of note... My G5 took an hour and a half just to 'make install' with
> these changes.  It looks like it's redoing some things in 'make install'
> that it already did in 'make':
>
> http://tinderbox.x.org/builds/2010-09-30-0022/

One guess: don't make nobase_x11locale_DATA depend on builddirs in
nls/Makefile.am. Since builddirs is essentially a phony target and
doesn't produce a target with a timestamp, nobase_x11locale_DATA will
always be considered out of date and hence get rebuilt.

I think there are two ways to handle this:

1. Change all the .pre rules (including the one in cpprules.in) to
create the directory they're being copied to if necessary. Something
like:

.pre:
    @dir=`echo $@ | sed 's,\(.*\)/.*,\1,'`; $(MKDIR_P) $$dir
    $(AM_V_GEN)$(RAWCPP) $(RAWCPPFLAGS) $(CPP_FILES_FLAGS) < $< |
$(CPP_SED_MAGIC) > $@

2. Create a stamp file when you make the directories and clean it up

builddirs:
    $(MKDIR_P) $(locales)
    @touch $@

CLEANFILES += builddirs

If you build with "make --debug=b", you can see info about what
prereqs are considered out of date.

--
Dan