Event for override-redirect change

Devin J. Pohly djpohly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:31:02 PST 2010

On 11/29/2010 02:06 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 23:33 -0500, Devin J. Pohly wrote:
>> The override-redirect flag is important for a window manager to know
>> about, but there's no notification made when a window changes it.  It
>> doesn't appear that the protocol specifies an action to take when a
>> ChangeWindowAttributes request changes override-redirect.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you're going to do about managing an
> unmanageable window.  Which sort of determines how we'd go about getting
> an event for this generated.  What did you have in mind here?

In my case, the motivating example is a tiling window manager.  If a
window is already mapped and part of the tiled layout, I'd want it to
pop out of the tiled arrangement if it switches to unmanaged.  As it
stands, the WM has to recheck each window every time it arranges them.

The more basic issue is that X provides a way for Client A to change a
property which is of direct interest to Client B (the WM in this case)
without providing a way for Client B to find out.  It feels...
inconsistent... since X is generally really good about this.

*dp