[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-glide 1.1.0

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Thu Nov 18 06:12:50 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 04:42 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:

> > LT_INIT requires libtool v2 whereby xorg "lowest common denominator"
> is
> > v1.5.
>
> Oh, didn't know that.

This is where the tool chain versions are specified.
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide#RequiredTools
A few days ago Jeremy changed libtool min version from 1.5 to 2.2,
I am trying to find out what led to this change.

> > I suspect that in real life almost everyone uses v2. If I
> > understand correctly, when configured with v2, libtool copies a
> handful
> > of v2 macros in the m4 directory (only if available). This allows a
> > system with v1.5 to use the v2 macros.
>
> autoreconf should copy all used macros into aclocal.m4 and the
> templates
> for the libtool script, so that you don't need those on the build
> system.
> Any missing macro should be detected by way of m4_pattern_forbid or at
> “make dist” time. The version of libtool used should in theory matter
> only on the system the person doing autoreconf runs it on.

Good, means no special case for libtool.

> > I am considering upgrading all of xorg to libtool v2 (only
> formalizing
> > the current situation). I am interested in the feedback you may get
> from
> > builders on that matter.
>
> I would not expect any problem from people building from the tarballs
> due to the libtool version. It could be an issue when building from
> git
> though.

Matthieu reported OpendBSD still requires to autoreconf using libtool
1.5 for about a year more.