[RFC] Multi-Touch (MT) support - arbitration or not

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Nov 8 19:31:49 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:54:51PM -0600, Chris Bagwell wrote:
> [...]
> >> work simultaneously. right now we're worrying about pen + touch, but what
> >> stops tablets from becoming large enough to be used by 2+ users with 2+
> >> pens simultaneously?
> >>
> >> from a purely event-stream focused viewpoint: why do we even care whether
> >> something is a pen or a touch? both are just tools and how these should be
> >> used is mostly up to the clients anyway.  IMO, the whole point of
> >> MT_TOOL_TYPE is that we don't have to assume use-cases for the tools but
> >> just forward the information to someone who knows how to deal with this.

> >> I'd vote for this one. It provides all the data necessary for MT clients
> >> (and all the data the device can support) but has a reasonable
> >> single-touch
> >> strategy. Given that wacom tablets are still primarily pen-centric
> >> tablets,
> >> the emphasis on pen overriding touch makes sense to me.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd also vote for this.
> >
> > I don't think that the kernel should make any assumption on the final
> > application. The data are available, so we have to pass them.
> >
> > 1. I read that people worry about sending "false" events (touch) while using
> > the pen. But in my mind, this is a _design_ problem of the final
> > application. I think the final application will have to filter these events:
> > for instance, what happens if the user is too lazy to remove his pen (or
> > just want to keep the hover on the application) out of the proximity range
> > and want to move its digital sheet of paper in his (her) design application?
> > The final application will have to choose whether using or not the touch
> > features (depending on the pressure for instance...).
> >
> > The solution 4. (*technical solution*) addresses the problem of the "false"
> > events for the applications (*design problem*) that are not designed to used
> > multitouch. They will just ignore the touch data.
> > So I think, it's a good start
> >

> > 2. I would also add that multitouch is not only available for trackpads:
> > there are also direct devices in absolute coordinate mode. With those
> > device, the touch data can be directed to an other Xclient that is used by
> > an other user if the surface is large enough. Currently we only see
> > relatively small surfaces (bamboo, ntrig devices), but in the future, we can
> > easily imagine a whole table with both pen and touch.
> >
> > And this solve Michal's problem as he will be able to use buttons in the
> > application with the finger.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Benjamin

> I think we may be mixing some topics and so I'd like to try to
> re-frame the discussion.
>
> There are two different cases and they may have different answers
> because of it.
>
> Case 1) 1 input device can support multiple tools that are in
> proximity at same time.
>
> I believe this is currently a theoretical example (no driver exists like this).

if you consider touch to be just another tool, we already have devices that
support proximity of multiple tools. This isn't theoretical anymore.

> In RFC example, this input devices has a pen and 2 finger touches.
> They all share ABS_X/Y/PRESSURE values.  The single touch (ST) input
> filtering breaks being able to support this case and what multitouch
> events (MT) were added for.
>
> To date, when converting drivers over to MT events the guideline is
> *always* send MT events (because what app wants to randomly switch
> between MT event processing and ST event processing for same
> X/Y/PRESSURE?) and send something sane for ST events to be backwards
> compatible with older apps.
>
> I think everyone is happy in this thread to always send pen+touch MT
> events and let X drivers or similar filter/arbitrate out unwanted
> touch events as needed.
>
> The ideal "sane" behavior for touch ST events has been leaning towards
> tracking 1st touch and continue sending 1st touch during multi-touch
> but there is some debate because tracking can be expensive in kernel.
> In case of pen+touch, the sane may change to prefer pen over touch and
> prefer first touch when 2 touches exist.
>
> Or "sane" can mean let the ST values go crazy during multi-touch and
> hope user can use GUI enough after new kernel install to get a
> MT-aware X driver.
>
> Its easy to implement preferring pen then preferring 1st touch so I
> suggest doing that.  This is for backwards compatibility only
> (un-modified xf86-input-wacom/synaptics/evdev/etc).  The future is MT
> events, in which case the ST events are meaningless and we are hiding
> nothing to applications that look at MT events.
>
> Case 2) 2 input devices can support multiple tools in proximity at same time.
>
> I believe it was Rafi that brought up point that dual pen+touch
> interfaces will have different properties.  Touch will be lower
> resolution then Pen and maybe different fuzz factor.  Also, on tablets
> I would think pretty easy to have different dimensions (one tool works
> over larger area of tablet).  This is easy to expose to user when 2
> input devices.

Yes and no. We're talking about kernel level here and I don't think this
should be done at this level. The current behaviour of the X driver is to
split multiple tools up into multiple X devices, so the points above can
easily be achieved in userspace.

> Combining into single input to user would be nice but at least when
> dimensions are different, we probably do not want to remove that
> visibility to user and so must keep 2 input devices.

If we run into issues with different axis ranges/resolutions for multiple
MT_SLOT devices, this should be addressed in the kernel as well.
I feel uncomfortable about splitting up a physical device into multiple
devices, it takes information away that cannot easily be re-created in the
userspace. Even with a method of associating multiple event devices to the
same physical device, the parsing of simultaneous events is harder because
you're essentially deserialising event streams. In userspace, you have to
re-serialize based on parallel inputs.

That said, it also goes counter the whole multi-touch approach - allowing
more than one device on a single physical device.

Cheers,
  Peter