The future of Xephyr and Kdriver

Feng, Haitao haitao.feng at intel.com
Mon Nov 8 01:45:08 PST 2010

Hi Jamey,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Have you noticed Kristian's Wayland project? In an email discussion,
Kristian mentioned the "Xorg on Xorg" idea and discussed its design and
implementation. Quoted from the email:

"I imagine a new module called 'hosted' that lets the DDX drivers detect
that they're running under an existing display server (Xorg or wayland)
and then use that instead of KMS for modesetting and allocating front
buffers.  Ideally this can be done in a way so that the DDX driver
doesn't need to know what the host display server is, but just
interfaces with the 'hosted' module.  Then there will be a little bit of
code that each DDX driver needs to add that talks to the 'hosted' module
to get the DRM fd, to set the front buffer and to post damage."

Is it the "Xephyr-like video driver for Xorg DDX" you are going to
achieve?

I will learn and investigate the "Xorg on Wayland" project. From SDK
developer's point of view, "Xorg on Xorg" has the same functionality of
Xephyr to display the MeeGo applications. If "Xorg on Xorg" is better, I
will go for it. With this said, I am still willing to maintain Xephyr if
you need a maintainer here.

Thanks
-Haitao