helping organize x.org documentation

Matt Dew matt at osource.org
Wed May 26 06:12:46 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Tiago Vignatti
<tiago.vignatti at nokia.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:36:47PM +0200, ext Matt Dew wrote:
>>    Back in March I posted on the list that I was looking to help
>> organize documentation.  I got some very helpful replies and advice
>> and set up a page and started collecting stuff.  It's nowhere near
>> done but it's ready to open up to the list.  This is a request for
>> further help and feedback.
>>
>> http://www.osource.org/xorg/
>> The information will be transfered to the real X.org/wiki in the future.
>
> maybe you could summarize the changes you made so far there?
>
>    Tiago

Ah ok,
Ok here's a summary of current changes:

1) I used kernelnewbies.org as the template, so this page doesn't look
like the xorg wiki.  (probably least important diff),

2) Architectural overview  -There was a detailed drawing over on the
ubuntu forums a while back. The front page has a link to that.  While
it seems overly complicated, it's nice to have a diagram that shows
all the parts.

3)  Front page now contains links to GSoC and EVoC.

4) Front page now contains a link to more contact info than just the
IRC and mailing list.  Also has a link to the maintainers file so
people can quickly find out who's in charge of what so they can direct
questions.

5)  More links for development stuff:  How to Download, How to Build,
Bug Reporting,  Submitting Patches, ...

6) A components page that has more information on the modules,
drivers, protocols.   There are links to more detailed information on
the protocols as well as drivers and modules.  I'm trying to round up
detailed info on all pieces and how they fit together as well as their
function in the overall design.

7) Links to external dependencies like mesa, xkeyboard-config and XCB.

8) Link to tinderbox.

I'm trying to collect existing information and put it in one place in
a consistent manner so things are easy to find.    Right now I'm
focused on rounding up links to the development documentation.
However, I don't plan to stop there. The goal is to have documentation
for development, use/configuration, demos/presentations, ...

Please give me feedback, links, requests, suggestions, etc.
thanks,
Matt