X windows dump format

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Tue May 18 20:30:06 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I am developing an application that processes the output of the X Windows Dump (xwd) application.  I'm assembling use-case scenarios for testing this app and was wondering about how xwd actually works.

When I use xwd to dump the contents of a window, and use the -nobrdrs option, it still includes the window frame and scroll bars from the window.  For instance, if I dump the contents of a Mozilla Firefox window, and use the -nobdrs option, I still get all the window decoration (scroll bars, etc.).  All I want from this xwd execution is the contents of the web page.

Also, if the content of the web page exceeds the viewable size of the browser window, I would like xwd to include the ENTIRE contents of the web page, and not just the viewable section.  Is this content available in the x windows display buffer? Or is the remainder of the web page (non viewable) under control of the Firefox and firefox displays the next page of content when I scroll the window?

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Randy