xcb: Protocol in $DISPLAY

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed May 12 19:20:50 PDT 2010

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I was noticing that xcb doesn't seem to like DISPLAYs that have the protocol explicitly defined.  eg:
>
> $ DISPLAY=inet/localhost:1 ./xcbdpyinfo
> Connect failed.
>
> but localhost:1 works just fine.  Is this something that Xlib was doing "extra", or is this a bug in xcb that needs to be fixed there?

It is certainly part of the Xlib spec - from Chapter 2:

    The encoding and interpretation of the display name are
    implementation-dependent.  Strings in the Host Portable
    Character Encoding are supported; support for other characters is
    implementation-dependent.  On POSIX-conformant
    systems, the display name or DISPLAY environment variable
    can be a string in the format:

    protocol/hostname:number.screen_number

Apparently the protocol/ prefix never made it to the X(7) man page
description of DISPLAY though.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com