RFC: getting rid of Xalloc/Xfree/... in server

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon May 10 07:17:36 PDT 2010

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 01:23 PM, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>> If someone wants to be able to experiment with different malloc
>> implementations in X, then we should keep wrappers to make it easier.
>
> then ld's our friend and let us do this in a cleaner way:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/scrutinizing-x-mem/0001-dix-add-memory-allocation-wrapping-functions-for-pro.patch

Note the existing checks for ld wrap support in configure.ac, since it's
only available on GNU ld and very very recent versions of OpenSolaris ld.
It should be okay to use if configure finds it, you just can't assume that
it will be found everywhere.

ELF interposition is more widely available, but still not universal to all
our platforms.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com