simple ChangeGC cleanups

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri May 7 20:57:22 PDT 2010

On Fri,  7 May 2010 20:23:55 -0700, Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> wrote:

> I'm not entirely convinced. Only one call that hits dixChangeGC passes a
> real client pointer. One other passes serverClient, and all the rest
> pass NullClient. I'm skeptical that all those cases using NullClient
> don't need to pass an error value back to the client.

Actually, looking at your patch, I'll bet none of the places calling it
with NullClient want the error value that dixChangeGC is going to
generate passed back to clients (imagine getting a 'Match' error back
From PolyPoint or whatever).

In any case, it looks like an interesting problem to figure out which of
these many calls should propagate an error back to the client.

> I produced the following series of cleanup patches while trying to
> understand what's going on in the GC code. I'd appreciate review...

I'll take a look.

> I can't argue with that, but it looks like more work than I feel like
> doing today. :-) Would you consider taking the patch I originally
> posted, as it's an improvement over leaving random unused extern
> declarations scattered around?

Yup, your changes are in the right direction in any case.

keith.packard at intel.com