Help With setting Window Borders

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Wed May 5 11:36:32 PDT 2010

On 2010-05-05 14:24, John Eke wrote:
>   Thanks a lot Peter, I seem to be close but I must be missing
> something. I have a little program which I run, and its rendered without
> the window decorations. Then on the side I have my X11 client which
> tries to set the override-redirect to true, and then proceed to set a
> window border. After wiresharking my X11 requests I see that I am
> sending the right stuff to the x server. But for some reason it has no
> effect. I wonder if I am missing something?
>
> After the borderless window is created I send the following requests:
>
>     * ChangeWindowAttributes with border pixel color set to red, and
>       override-redirect set to true
>     * ConfigureWindow with border-width set to 5
>
> Is there something I am missing?

You top posted.

You didn't trim your quotes.

You forgot to include a link to your source code, or at least a
wireshark .pcap.

You didn't send me a crystal ball, so I have no idea what else you may
be missing. Are you setting override-redirect after the fact? That might
be too late. Besides, are you really really certain that
override-redirect is what you want? Did you even map the window in question?

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/