global cursor motion events

James Willcox jwillcox at litl.com
Wed Jun 23 10:54:02 PDT 2010

Hello,

I need to continuously display a sprite at the cursor position from within
my composite manager.  In order to do this, I of course need to get cursor
motion events.  My understanding is that this isn't possible without having
your window focused or grabbing the server.  Since neither are an option for
my circumstance, I would like to extend XFixes with such an event.

I realize there could be some security considerations with this, so I think
it would be disabled by default and then folks could enable it through
whatever security mechanism available (XACE?).  Does this sound sensible?

Thanks,
James