Closing the xserver 1.9 merge window

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jun 21 10:51:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:53:30 -0700, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> > Beyond that, I'd like for people to consider the tree closed to
> > large-scale changes as we prepare for the 1.9 release. There are a
> > couple of additional cleanup patch sequences floating around and I think
> > we should plan on leaving those for 1.10 unless they fix actual bugs.
>
> Does that mean the mega-proto module merge is now going to slip until
> after Xserver 1.9 / X11R7.6 ?

I saw quite a bit of resistance to this plan, so I kinda put it on the
back-burner for now. It's easy to do at any time though; I've got
scripts to merge things together sitting here. I think this makes sense
for 7.6 and would like to see it happen still.

My plan was to bump the xproto.pc version number to 7.1, replacing the
existing xproto.pc file. All of the other .pc files would retain their
current version numbers. Eventually, we could migrate packages to using
just the xproto version number and perhaps stop shipping the individual
.pc files in a few years time.

keith.packard at intel.com