How to help on multitouch?

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Wed Jun 16 18:33:34 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 10:36 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Seriously, I appreciate your eagerness but at the moment your proposals may
> sound good on paper but the devil's in the detail. You really need to read
> up on the core protocol spec, the XI and XI2 protocol specs and especially
> the event processing and grab handling in the server. If after that you
> haven't committed yourself to a mental institute, feel free to draft up some
> more plans but when I mentioned this issue is tricky in earlier emails, I
> wasn't joking. Right now, I don't think your proposals have the required
> depth.

Yes, I understand.

My goal is to try to become well versed in all this as fast as possible.
I've been trying to piece together bits and pieces from various places
(internal docs in git repos, random pages on x.org, reading code as fast
as I can), but it can be rather difficult. You can't found books on X
design like you can on the kernel :). Thus, figuring out how the entire
input system of X works as quickly as possible is a challenge.

So my "proposals" are more like me slinging things at a wall and seeing
what sticks. I knew going in that nothing I was going to suggest was
going to be implementable as I originally thought them up, but my hope
is that I can find a nugget of potential to grow upon.

I also don't want to go off, read the source, and develop an idea,
spending quite a bit of time doing so, and come back and realize the
world (X, gtk, qt) has moved on without me and any ideas I had can't be
implemented any more.

Mostly I am just eager to participate. I hope it's not too much bother,
and I am going to be spending as much time as I can reading the source
and any docs I can find.

Thanks,

-- Chase