groff results in empty pngs (pnm* tools not on system)

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Wed Jun 16 15:24:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:00:10 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> The stderr from the above command shows a bunch of lines like:
> Calling `pnmcut 165 158 583 397 < /var/folders/82/3fx+36+h6bh12wg5m
> +xpm4ym++++fn/T/groff-page-KcEGLl | pnmcrop -quiet | pnmtopng -
> background rgb:f/f/f -transparent rgb
> :f/f/f > images/xim-image1.png
> ' returned status 32512
>
> There is no pnmcut available on the system.  Why are pnm* getting
> run by groff?  Is that something that "we" (X11) have setup (and
> should therefore be checking in util-macros), or is that a
> dependency of groff which Mac OSX is not shipping (and I should
> therefore bug someone else).

It looks like these utilities are needed by grohtml:

DEPENDENCIES
       grohtml is dependent upon the png utilities (pnmcut, pnmcrop, pnmtopng)
       and  GhostScript (gs).  pnmtopng (version 2.37.6 or greater) and pnmcut
       from the netpbm package (version 9.16 or greater) will work  also.   It
       is  also  dependent upon psselect from the PSUtils package.  Images are
       generated whenever a table, picture, equation or line is encountered.

Cheers,
Julien