xserver devel process

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jun 15 00:06:04 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:56:02PM -0700, Deen Sethanandha wrote:

> > but it's not very effective yet since so far only a few people have cleared
> > their own patches off once accepted, so it's full of patches that are
> > already
> > committed and don't need to be reviewed or pushed by a maintainer still.
> >

> I am not familiar with the patch contribution process but would like to know
> more about the full workflow.  How can people clear the accepted patch?  How
> do patch contributors know if the patches are accepted and committed?

for most patches, checking git master would be appropriate. the few patches
that need to go on a branch are statistical outliers.

Of course, the much harder bit is identifying which repository a patch
should apply to...

> I will look into how patchwork change patch status.  I can try to modify the
> patchwork code to automatically check if a patch was accepted and change its
> status accordingly.
>

> > It would be nice if it also noticed the patches that get attached to
> > bugzilla
> > reports, since people are still trained to do that from other projects,
> > despite
> > our dismal track record at processing patches received that way.
> >

> This is a nice feature.  Are there are lot of patches submitted to the
> Bugzilla?    I understand that contributors could be confused when they
> contributed to many projects.

there used to be more, now - because a lot of review happens on the list -
we tend to either take the patches from bugzilla and post it to the list or
just tell the reporters to send the to the list. That's what I'm doing
anyway and I've seen others do the same.
that's for the final patches anyway.

Cheers,
  Peter