performance of pci_device_get_{vendor, device}_name() in X server startup

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:40:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Richard Barnette
<jrbarnette at chromium.org> wrote:
> Still, cost/benefit matters here:  Essentially, the justification
> for all this work is a debug feature (being able to print the information
> in the log when things go wrong), not a performance enhancement.
> I'm not yet persuaded that that feature is worth the identified effort.

I'd still like to hear some opinions from people who do serious
xserver work, but from my perspective there's nothing wrong with only
executing this code if -verbose is used. The output of `lspci -vv` is
already a nearly required piece of any bug report, so I don't think
we're losing anything here.

Matt